Exchange Server 2010 Data center switch over trouble-shooter
MCP, MCTS, MCITP
Exchange Administrator, Book writer,
Freelancer trainer of Exchange Server
Mail me: email@example.com
Visit me: http://exchangeby-arun.blogspot.com
About me: I am working as an Exchange Administrator & also a freelancer trainer of Exchange & other Microsoft Servers; I have 6+ years experience in Microsoft servers. I have written many articles on different – different topics & given Exchange Server training for more than 250 Indian & Inter national clients.
Exchange 2010 has a very good feature that called Data centre Activation Coordination (DAC) mode, which is designed to prevent split brain at the database level during switchback procedures that are being performed after a data centre switchover. The major advantage of enabling the DAC feature is that you can use built-in recovery cmdlets to perform the data centre switchover and switchback.
But before going to run the built-in cmdlets you should have to understand properly these factors.
- Are all Exchange Servers available in Primary data centre?
- Is network connectivity available between the primary and remote data centre?
- Is Exchange deployed in a topology with a single Active Directory site or multiple sites?
When you got the required information regarding above points, now you can plan what command will be run & where will be run.
Now Administrator can run the built-in cmdlets but he required some more information like;
· How do I verify that stop-databaseavailability group was successful?
· How do I verify that restore-databaseavailabilitygroup performed the correct steps?
· When is it appropriate to run start-databaseavailailitygroup?
Each of these required a different set of verification steps, before you start.
Data centre Switchover Tool: this is a very good tool to perform the data centre switch over, it’s a kiosk-based power point application that allows administrators to work on the following steps.
- What commands to run and where to run them
- How to verify the commands completed successfully.
- How to walk through a Data centre Switchover from the Mailbox server / database availability group perspective.
Read my Books:
1. “The complete guide from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2010 migration”
2. “Open Source Email Servers”
Download this tool from here: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Exchange-2010-Datacenter-09a81fc6